Bursary opportunities are available for staff working within post 16 colleges or independent training providers who are looking to undertake, within the academic year 2020/21, a Level 3 teaching qualification, Level 3 Certificate, Level 4 Certificate & Level 5 Diploma in Education and Training, a Cert Ed or PGCE. This project is funded by the Government and the South East Local Enterprise Partnership (SELEP).
The overall object of the project is to attract and retain teaching staff in post 16 education and training by removing the need for staff to pay their own training costs. Funding can cover part of the costs of teacher training related courses for those who have been recruited to teach in any of the following skills shortage areas:
- Accommodation, Food and Hospitality and Tourism (Level 3 Priority Area)
- Agriculture and Land based
- Construction (Level 3 Priority Area)
- Energy and Utilities
- Health Care (Level 3 Priority Area)
- IT, Digital and Creative
- Manufacturing and Engineering
- Professional, scientific and technical
- Transport and Logistics
- Bursaries must be used to pay the programme/tuition costs of a new member of staff undertaking a Level 3 teaching qualification, Level 3 Certificate, Level 4 Certificate & Level 5 Diploma in Education and Training, Cert Ed or PGCE thus avoiding the need for that member of staff having to take out an Adult Loan to pay for those costs.
- Bursary grants are to be allocated across East Sussex, Essex and Kent.
- The maximum grant is worth up to £4,000.
- Colleges or ITPs taking up each grant on behalf of a specific member of staff must contribute the first £1,500 of match for a CertEd or PGCE qualification or 50% of the cost of a Level 3 qualification.
- Evidence will be required to demonstrate the actual cost and payment for, the teacher training programme.
- Applications and supporting evidence will be subject to external audit
An Information flyer is available with details about the bursary.
SCTP is working in partnership with FE Sussex, Kent Further Education, Kent Association of Training Organisations, the Essex Provider Network and the Federation of Essex Colleges on this project.